This Library Assistant position is responsible for providing services at the Chester Walker Memorial Library in Hamilton City. The successful candidate will provide a high level of customer service to the public, programming for children and families, and ensure that patrons have access to well organized materials and information. Questions should be directed to City Librarian, Jody Meza, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a City of Orland job application and a resume to the Orland Free Library, 333 Mill St. Orland, CA 95963 or to the email address above by 5:00 p.m. on October 12th.
Job Description: Library Assistant (Clerk)
Orland Free Library
Specifications may not include all duties performed by individuals within a classification. In addition, specifications are intended to outline the minimum qualifications necessary for entry into the class and do not necessarily convey the qualifications of incumbents within the position.
Job Title: LIBRARY ASSISTANT Part-time up to 12 hours/week. Must be available to work during library open hours. Hourly rate $17.00
Position: The Library Assistant (Clerk) is responsible for providing circulation and reference services to library patrons and assisting them to use library resources and equipment; providing technical support for the library’s equipment and users; shelving library materials and maintaining the order and appearance of the library and collection.
Responsibilities & Duties:
1) Performs general circulation desk duties: assists patrons with general reference questions and in locating and using library resources, equipment and online catalog and databases; registers patrons and checks materials in and out; monitors and assists patron use of public access computers.
2) Provides support for various Library duties and services, including children’s and young adult programming, processing library materials, record keeping, etc.
3) Maintains the library’s public areas: sorts returned materials by classification, shelves them accurately; straightens and cleans shelves; shifts books as necessary when shelves become full; reads shelves to keep the collection in order.
4) Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1) Ability to operate and maintain a variety of office equipment, knowledge of common computer applications with the ability to use/learn library software programs.
2) Ability to work independently, well under stress and maintain a welcoming attitude; strong communication and interpersonal skills for providing quality customer service to patrons.
3) Ability to lift, carry & shelve library materials.
Education & Experience:
Any combination of training, education, and experience which demonstrates an ability to
perform the duties of the position. High school diploma or GED is required with 1 to 2 years post-secondary education and/or training/experience in the library field preferred.
If you have questions about this position you may contact the City Librarian, Jody Meza, at email@example.com.
The City of Orland is an Equal Opportunity Provider